NAME                              SHIP                         
Susannah Mortimer   Lady Juliana                
April 1788            7 Years      Theft                       GGGG Grandmother

Susannah Mortimer/Mortimore my GGGG Grandmother Married Thomas O'Brien

Susannah Mortimore was sentenced to death at the 17 march 1788 Exeter Castle ( Devon) Assizes for the theft on 20 August 1787 of 2 sheep belonging to Elias Langdon at Moretonhampstead (Devon). She was reprieved several weeks later to 7 years transportation and remained in the county goal until 11 April 1788, when she was sent with several other women for embarkation on the "Lady Juliana"  transport on the Thames, age given as 24. She was apparently the woman of this name whose conveyance from Southampton to Exeter (118 mile journey) for trial under a writ of Habeas Corpus cost the county 5 pounds 18 shillings.
In early August 1790, 8 weeks after landing at Sydney Cove, Mortimore was among 194 male and female convicts transferred to Norfolk Island. She brought with her a young child, Susannah, who had almost certainly been conceived on the voyage from England. Soon after arrival she formed a relationship with the 1st Fleet marine settler Thomas O'Brien on his 60 acre (24ha) farm (lot 86) on the west side of the Island. they were probably among a large number of couples married by Rev Richard Johnson on his November 1791 visit to the Island, with no record of the ceremonies surviving In September 1808 the family were among the settlers transferred to VDL, (Tasmania), where O'Brien was granted 100 acres (40.5 ha) in the New Town district.

 Susannah died 31/12/1846 at Glenorchy and was buried at St Matthews church cemetery Glenorchy. The church still exists (1998) not as a church but as a meeting place for Aboriginals and Torres Strait Islanders. The headstone along with a number of other headstones are cemented in on the back wall of the church. When the headstone was cemented in they covered up the bottom name on the stone. the inscription reads  " To The Memory of M~SUSANNAH O'BRIEN" who departed this life December 31 1846 Aged 86 years, Also, James O'Brien, Died December 21 1863 aged 63 also ? it can be assumed that the third person in the grave is Jame's wife Ann
As already described, Susannah came with her husband, Thomas, and eight children to Hobart Town in 1809. They were first class passengers. She helped her Husband fashion his farm from virgin bush at O'Briens Bridge ( Glenorchy). Susannah died in 1846 at the age of 86. The headstone, which once stood out in what is now the Centre of the main road, was placed at the rear of St Matthews Church, on the corner of Tolosa St and Main Road, Glenorchy.
Susannah was living with her daughter Margaret McDonald in the 1837 census
** SUSANNAH MORTIMORE age 24, tried Exeter, spring 1788, sentenced 7 years( Mutch index to " Lady Juliana" which arrived 3-6-1790) Left Plymouth 29-7-1789 arrived Sydney 3-6-1790.

Western Assize circuit goal book for 1774-1798 shows Susannah Mortimore convicted at Exeter Lent Assizes 1788 of stealing jointly with John Rice in August 1787 at Moreton, Hampstead, 2 sheep, property of Elias Langdon. Both she and Rice pleaded not guilty, were convicted to be hanged. Both sentences subsequently being commuted to 7 years transportation each.( Public records office, London - Assi 23/8 part 2)

Exeter Flying Post, Thursday 27-3-1788
"...J. Rice and Susannah Mortimore, for sheep stealing, all to receive sentence of death...hereby J. Rice and Susannah Mortimer, were reprieved;the others left for execution, Friday fortnight."

J. Rice died on the voyage to Australia aboard 2nd fleet ship " Neptune".

Susannah arrived Norfolk Island " Suprise" 7-8-1790 on rations. Had 9 chn and married Thomas O'Brien.

John Smith                  Lady Castlereagh         
 April    1817          7 years   Larceny                   GGG Grandfather
  John SMITH 1795-1878

My GGG Grandfather

John was a convict, sentenced at Durham in April 1817 for larceny to seven years transportation. He came on the "Lady Castlereagh", arriving in Port Jackson on the 30th April 1818 the trip took 129 days, then the ship was chartered to transport the convicts on to Hobart at a rate of 2 pounds per convict , 39 disembarked at Port Jackson and 261 convicts went on to Hobart  . This was the first ship to be fitted out with three distinct compartments, seperated by open iron railings. This seperated juveniles from hardened offenders, and allowed a freer flow of air.

John was a 24 year old waterman from Lincolshire, 5'6" tall, with flaxen hair, blue eyes, and a yellow complexion. His behaviour in the colony was good, with only two offences recorded against him, once for being absent from his lodgings at night and the second on December 1st 1826 after his freedom, for fighting and affray in Foulburn Street, for which he was bound over to keep the peace for three months.

John and Mary began their married life in Launceston, where their first three children were born, returning to Glenorchy in time for the birth of their fourth child in 1830, where John worked as a sawyer.

In 1838 John applied to the caveat board for the ratification of his title to 5 acres 6 perches of land in the parish of Glenorchy, part of the 60 acres originally granted to Thomas O'Brien. O'Brien had conveyed the land to Smith on 10 April 1823 just after his marriage to his daughter, Mary Ann O'Brien.

In 1839 John Smith of Glenorchy applied fo a grant of land in the Huon area, and a grant of 100 acres was made to him at Castle Forbes Bay in 1841. They moved there in time for the birth of Thomas in May of that year.

John Bower                 Woodford                   
 March 1826           Life    Housebreaking              GGG Grandfather
  John Bower my GGG Grandfather Married Joan Hancock

 john bower convicted on 25th march 1826 at the warwick assize to life (transported to australia)
life for housebreaking. previous offence-breaking into a shop, stole wearing apparel(24 months sentence)
 the ship woodford  depart 5 august 1826 arrived hobart 22 november 1826
28th dec 1826 sent to mr. horton at ross Tasmania to help build  "sumercoats" Mr Horton's residents
14th jan 1834 sent to campbell town
21st apr 1835 sent to new norfolk
28 jan 1839 cond. pardon no 1947
granted permission to marry joan hancock on 18 april 1836 at the Mance of St Davids Hobart
conduct in goal-bad
conduct in hulk-good
trade- jeweller

Became a storeman, Miller and a potter

Joan   Hancock            William Bryan               
 July 1833         14Years    Theft                            GGG Grandmother
  Joan Hancock my GGG Grandmother Married John Bower

Joan Handcock aged 18 sentanced to transportation to Australia on the ship William Bryan
28-3-1833 sentenced to 14 years at Somerset assize
transported for sealing solen goods as  a farm hand
depart London 4 July 1833
arrive in hobart 23 oct 1833
12-11-1835 indifferent conduct-sent to wash tub until futher notice
30-5-1839 ticket of leave
28-10-1841 con. pardon no. 3429
sentanced to the Cascades Female Factory for convicts in Hobart

Mary Murray               Navario                          
Oct 1840            7 Years    Theft                            GGG Grandmother
  ship ;-navarino 
departed 9 oct 1840 london
arrival 17 jan 1841
female family founders database

December 1841 sent to work  for Mr W T Mac Michael at Hobart
Married Frederick Ray 10 Jan 1842

Sarah Ann Ford          Platina                          
 May 1837          7 Years   Theft                             GGG Grandmother   

My GGG grandmother Married to Thomas Smith (Fellows)

Sarah was aged about 3 or 4 when her father Joseph Ford was hanged for horse stealing when aged only 28 years!

(Sarah's birth/baptism registration not confirmed - 1815 or 1818 -
bap 31 May 1818 at St James the Great, Dursley in Gloucestershire)

Joseph was hanged on 1 Sep 1821 and was buried three days later on the 4 Sep 1821 under the Coaley Church Tower in Gloucester. 300 people attended his funeral.

(Joseph Ford was born 8 Jan 1793 at Coaley, married Sarah Workman 27 Apr 1812 at Dursley

Sarah's mother Sarah would have found life very hard with three or four young children to look after and no husband.

(Fourth child Edmund - details to be confirmed - an Edmund Ford buried Dursley 4 Mar 1821 aged 9 years.)

Within fifteen years Henry, Hannah and Sarah had all been charged with offences and gaoled - because of their second offences Henry and Sarah were transported for seven years to Van Dieman's  Land.

Son Henry (b 1815c Coaley) was first imprisoned in 1831 aged 16 years and two years later in 1833 went on trial for receiving stolen goods.
In 1835 he was transported to Hobart arriving per 'George III' - according to records he drowned as the ship arrived at Hobart.
There is a book written of this disaster "An Imperial Disaster - The Wreck of George III" by Michael Roe.
(In 1846 Esk River in Tasmania, Bushrangers Henry Ford and Henry Smart, robbed people at gunpoint in their houses. While robbing Rev Browne's house, Chief Constable Midgely called in to see him and caught the two red handed - sentenced to death, but commuted to life. Perhaps our Henry Ford did not drown!)

Sarah and her sister Hannah were committed for trial on 9 Mar 1836 by J Wallington Esq. Their ages were given as 23 and 21.
They were charged with Larceny at the Lent Assizes in Gloucestershire on 29 Mar 1836 and are listed on the 'Register of all persons charged with an Indictable Offences'.
They were 'charged on the oaths of Maria Newth and others with having on the 6Jan last at Dursley, feloniously stolen a silk handkerchief, the property of William Rickards, one cotton apron the property of Charlotte Rickards and a cotton apron, the property of Mary Watts'.
Hannah was described as having brown hair, light grey eyes, round visage, fair complexion (much pickled?), cut on the forehead. She was 5ft 1/2in tall and worked as a servant. Her behaviour in goal was described as 'orderly'.
Sarah was described as having light brown hair, full dark eyes, round visage, fair complexion, a mole between her shoulders. She was 4ft 10 1/2in tall and also worked as a servant. Her behaviour in goal was described as 'indifferent'.
They received one month goal.
Hannah was aged 21 while Sarah was 19 - ages two years younger than on original charge sheet!
On the Register in the column headed Degree of Instruction - 'Imp' is written opposite each of the girls - meaning to be found.
Both girls were Discharged 31Mar1836.

Sarah re-offended and went to trial at the County Assizes on 10 Aug 1836. This time she was sentenced to 7 years transportation. Her conduct was described as Very Bad.
Sarah had been charged on 27 Jul 1836 and committed for trial by KB Copper Esq and F Needle Esq. Her age was 21 and from she came from Dursley.
She was 'charged on the oath of Mary Hawkins and another with having on the 26 Jul at Cheltenham, feloniously stolen one pair of shoes, one pair of stockings, one pound of sugar and other articles, the property of Geo. Hawkins'.

Sarah's Convict Indent - original page transcribed - Convict number 149.
Transported for Larceny - Goal Report Very Bad, convicted before, Single.
Stated this offence Stealing Beer Glasses…… having been in prison before, Single.
29Oct1838 …./Disobedience of orders, 10 days Solitary Imprisonment in a cell, then assigned in the Interior away from Town. (initials) MF.
Conditional Pardon No 950 15 Dec 1842 (in different handwriting)
Ship 'Platina' departed London 3May1837 arriving 22Oct1837 - assigned to Cascades Female Factory, aged 21.

Sarah's description -
Trade was Nurse & ….woman,
Height without shoes was 5ft
Age 21
Fair complexion, Round Head, Brown Hair, Oval Visage, High Forehead, Grey eyes, Medium Nose, Small mouth and chin.
The words Dersley(sic) and Gloster(sic) written to the side of her description.

Sarah (149) sought Permission to Marry 28Nov1839 to fellow William Foxall ('Lady Ripley' - Convict number 142). The letters EO are in Decision Column.
Further down the same page Sarah and William's details are re-entered.
This time the date is 17Jan1840 and next to the date 5Mar1840 a few lines of writing that is difficult to decipher - "… of the Clergy … … be satisfied with the evidence to proved the death of the … ….".

As there is no evidence of a marriage it appears that William Foxall died - no death registration found.

Sarah's first two children Elizabeth and Ellen - possibly twins - were born 6Mar1840 at New Norfolk in Tasmania. Ellen's life is well documented (she married John Alan Bower) but nil further known of Elizabeth.

Sarah Ford - Convict number 149 - ship 'Platina', Ticket of Leave on 31Dec1841? (p362 of 1841 Convict Muster). Worked for Rev Palmer.
Sarah Ticket of Leave dd 11Nov1841 - Details in Courier Newspaper 16Nov1841.

Sarah's second Permission to Marry application was dd 15Feb1842 - Thomas Smith Convict number 2544 ('Lord William Bentinck II). Approval for the marriage dd 5Mar1842.

The marriage took place at St Matthews Church, New Norfolk on 5 Apr 1842. Thomas Smith was aged 27, Sarah Ford 24. He signed his name, Sarah "X". The minister Chaplain W Garrard married them in the Parish Church according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the United Church of England and Ireland. The witnesses were William Dean who signed his name and Jane Dean "X".
Sarah spent possibly a year and a half in New Zealand!
She died 13 May 1892 in Down Street, Collingwood in Victoria Australia and is buried in Melbourne General Cemetery with her husband Thomas Smith who died 2 years later on 25 Jul 1894.

Thomas Smith(Fellows) Lord William Bentinck  
June 1837          7 Years    Theft                             GGG Grandfather

My GGG Grandfather Thomas Smith(fellows) married Sarah Ann Ford

From the Quarter Sessions Order Book June 1837.
> Thomas Smith late of the parish of Camborne in this county laborer
> was at this sessions indicted tried and convicted for feloniously
> stealing one piece of the current silver coin of the realm called a
> half crown of the value of two shillings and six pence two pieces of
> the current silver coin of the realm called shillings of the value of
> two shillings one piece of the current copper coin of the realm
> called a penny of the value of one penny and two pieces of the
> current copper coin of the realm called half pence of the value of
> one penny of the monies goods and chattels of Thomas Vincent from the
> person of Mary Anne Vincent the wife of the said Thomas Vincent
> against the form of the statute in that can made and provided.
> It is therefore ordered that for the said offence he the said Thomas
> Smith be transported to such parts beyond the seas as His Majesty
> with the advice of this Privy Council shall direct for the term of
> seven years.
> Tasmanian Convict Ships Records (ML Ref. CY1281,pg 355) Mitchell Library
> WHERE TRIED: Cornwall 2nd sessions
> WHEN TRIED: 27 June 1837
> NUMBER: 2544
> HEIGHT: 5' 41/2"
> AGE: 25yrs
> TRADE: Shoemaker, can cut
> SENTENCE: 7yrs
> NATIVE PLACE: Portsmouth
> HOW APPROPRIATED: Mr. Rd. Barker Macquarie Dist. T.L.
> CON 18/14 Tasmanian Archives
> Thomas Smith No. 7
> Trade....................................Shoemaker, can cut out
> Height (without shoes)..... 5' 41/4"
> Age....................................... 25
> Complexion........................ Dark
> Head.................................... Round
> Hair........................................Dark
> Whiskers............................. Jo?
> Visage...................................Long
> Forehead..............................High
> Eyebrows............................ Dark
> Eyes......................................Blue
> Nose.................................... Short
> Mouth....................................Medium
> Chin...................................... Long
> The Lord William Bentinck 11 arrived in Hobart on 26th Aug, 1838. It
> was a 564ton Bk built in Bristol in 1828. It was class A1, the master
> was William S Stockley and the surgeon was John Rankine. It sailed
> fom Portsmouth on 15th April, 1838. It
> sailed via the Cape and took 134 days. There were 320 males. 3 died.
> Quarter Sessions were Epiphany, Easter, Trinity, Michaelmas.
> Ref. Ns 489/1 St. Matthew's Church, New Norfolk-Marriages. Tasmania
> No. 57 1842 April 5
> Thomas Smith 27 Ld. William Bentinck Bachelor
> Sarah Ford 24 T.L./ Platina Spinster
> Signed: Tho. Smith
> Sarah Ford X her mark
> in the presence of William Dean
> Jane Dean X her mark.
> Born Isle of Wight. Lived in Tasmania ?yrs and in Victoria 26 yrs.
> (his death certificate)
> Death Notice- The Age Thursday July 26 1894
> SMITH On the 25th July at 4:30 a.m., at the residence of his
> daughter, Mrs Ruth Wood 23 Tait St North Fitzroy, Mr Thos Smith, late
> of Glenorchy, Tasmania, aged 78 years.
> Funeral Notice- Smith- the Friends of the late Mr Thomas Smith are
> respectfully invited to follow his remains to the place of
> internment, Melbourne General Cemetery. The funeral will leave the
> residence of his daughter Mrs woods, 23 Tait Street, North Fitzroy
> THIS DAY (Thursday) 26th inst at 2 o'clock.
According to the 1851 census, the ex-convict Thomas Smith lived at Nicholls Rivulet with his wife, son and daughter. Thomas Smith is listed in the 1851 Huon census (p.4). Funeral Notice- Smith- the Friends of the late Mr Thomas Smith are respectfully invited to follow his remains to the place of internment, Melbourne General Cemetery. The funeral will leave the residence of his daughter Mrs woods, 23 Tait Street, North Fitzroy THIS DAY (Thursday) 26th inst at 2 o'clock. He married Sarah Ann Ford, married 5 Apr 1842 in New Norfolk St Matthew, Tasmania, born 8 Jan 1815 in Dursley, Gloucestershire, (see note 32) died 13 May 1892 in Down Street, Collingwood, Victoria, Australia, (see note 33) buried 15 May 1892 in Melbourne General Cemetery, Victoria, Australia, (see note 34) occupation Nurse & Needle, Waits At.  Sarah: The Platina arrived in Hobart on 22 Oct 1837. It was a 303ton Bk built in Sunderland in 1830. It was class A1, the Master was Robson Coltish and the surgeon, George Ellery Forman. It sailed from London on 3rd May , 1837, via the Cape and took 172 days. There were 116 females on board.

George Porter            Scarborough 2nd  Fleet 
  Feb 1789                Life    Theft                            GGG GrandUncle(I/L)

Greorge Porter my GGG Grand Uncle married to My GGG  GrandAunt Susannah Mely Screech(o'Brien)

George Porter was born about 1768, in Middlesex, and when 20 was sentenced to death on 25 February 1789 during the Sessions at the Justice Hall, Old Bailey. His crime was stealing six silk handkerchiefs and a single leather slipper in the burglary of a shop near the corner of The Terrace and Cross Street, Islington, just north of the City of London. At 6 pm on 21 January he was seen breaking a pane of glass in a shop window, and snatching the items from a display. It was already dark, but he was caught running through Islington Churchyard after someone cried, "Stop Thief!" William Cook was also arrested, because he had been seen acting suspiciously with Porter earlier. He was acquitted at the trial with a solemn warning from the judge: "Your life is spared. I hope the fate of your unfortunate companion will be a warning to you." Witnesses identified both young men as Islington residents known to them by sight. Porter claimed in court to have innocently picked up the goods off the ground.

After Porter had spent seven months in the condemned cells, he was called to the bar of the Old Bailey with over a 100 other capital convicts in September 1787, and offered a pardon on condition of transportation for life. (William Rayner was also among the group.) He accepted, and on 10 November he was sent from Newgate to the transport, Scarborough. So he became a Second Fleeter, arriving at Sydney Cove on 28 June 1790. (See the chapter on the Rayners for more detail  about the voyage of the Scarborough).

A year after landing, Porter was sent to Norfolk Island, where he worked quietly as a gardener, with James Warwick, and was still single when he was transferred to Van Diemen's Land on the City of Edinburgh in September 1808. Written alongside his name in the remarks column on the list of evacuees was recommended for a grant - a good character.The impression is that Porter was a fairly quiet sort of man, who kept out of trouble, and survived through the horrors of the Second Fleet and Norfolk Island by being as invisible as possible.

On 21 November 1808, a month after arriving in Hobart Town, he married Susannah Mortimore, (who went under the name of O'Brien), who had sailed with her family from Norfolk Island on the same ship as Porter. Perhaps he proposed to her on board? She was 18, and he was by now 40. They were married by the Rev'd Robert Knopwood, with Thomas O'Brien, Susannah's step-father, and Francis Barnes as witnesses. The couple both signed with an X. It was the 34th marriage to take place in Tasmania.

George farmed near New Norfolk, and for some years was a constable with the Hobart Town Police. In 1818 he was supplying wheat and meat to the government stores, and in 1819 held a grazing license at "Green Bottom", Broad Valley, Glenorchy. That year he was listed as farming 60 acres, of which 15 were in wheat, and 4 in beans and potatoes. He also had 5 cattle and 151 sheep. By then they had six children, and employed a government servant.

In the December 1821 Hobart Town Gazette the following advertisement appeared:

STRAYED, about three weeks ago, from the Black Snake, two Working Bullocks, branded G P on the near shoulder, one has a black mark with a star on the forehead, the other red colour with a white back - Whoever will give information where they are, to George Porter, the owner, as above, will receive 2 pounds for their trouble; but if found in any person's possession after this notice, they will be prosecuted agreeably to the Colonial regulations.

The first seven children were baptised by Bobby Knopwood, and George and Susannah's address was given as Hobart Town. The last two records give the address as Glenorchy, and George's occupation as farmer. But they were on their farm at Black Snake, Granton, long before 1825. In 1817 George was supplying the Government Stores, with 750 lbs of fresh meat, and 24 bushels of wheat.  In 1828 a Return of Juvenile Population of the Black Snake, Van Diemen's Land, requiring Education lists the Porter family, boys and girls separately, with the comment "Parents of good character". They were Protestants. Both George Porter and William Mansfield claimed that the school was too far off for their children to attend.

George died on 8 September 1828, at the age of 60, leaving his wife responsible for a family of eight children. Susannah held them together on the farm, yet another remarkable pioneer woman. She died aged 45 on 7 May 1835, leaving her youngest child an orphan at only 6 years old. Perhaps her mother helped raise the children left behind.

Alexander Waddle    Indefatigable                  
 Aug 1810              Life      Theft                           GGG GrandUncle(I/L)

My GGG GrandUncle Married my GGG GrandAunt Catherine O'brien

Alexander arrived in Tasmania as a convict on board the ship "Indefatigable"in 1812. He had been sentenced by court martial at Fort George, Upper Canada on the 28th August 1810 to transportation for life. On 13th December 1824 he wrote a memorial to the Lieutenant-Governor, Arthur, describing himself as free,but admitting that he came on the "Indefatigable" in 1812. He had been granted two town allotments in Launceston, and had built premises worth more than 1200 pounds ($2400). He had been a licensed innkeeper for 3 years, and held 300 acres (122ha) of land by purchase. This may have been at or near Longford, for he said that he intended to build a water mill "for the accommodation of the Norfolk Plains Settlers", Norfolk Plains is now Longford. Asserting that since his arrival he had "maintained a character unimpeachable for integrity and honesty of principal and conduct", he asked for a grant of land. Arthur authorized the grant of 200acres (81ha), which was taken up near Launceston (CSO1/92/2168.

On the 10th May 1827 this same Alexander Waddle wrote another petition to the Lieut-Governor. This time  he admitted that he had arrived on the "Indefatigable as a convict . He said he had received a ticket-of-leave on arrival and had held it for seven years. On the 31 January 1820 he had received a conditional pardon, the condition being that he remained a district constable in the vicinity of Hobart Town for five years. He said he now possessed 250 head of cattle, 4 horses, three houses in Launceston and 700 acres (283ha) in the vicinity of Launceston, 200 of which had been granted. He was now a licensed publican. He now asked for a free pardon. A.W.H. Humphrey, a magistrate, attached a certificate of conduct. In this he stated that Waddle had deserted his wife some years before, that he was a licensed publican living with Catherine O'Brien by whom he had had several children, Mrs Waddle was now living with her family at Beresfords Creek about six miles (10km) from Hobart on the New Norfolk road. The petition was recommended by two well known men Edward Abbot and T.A. Lascelles. The letter stated that Waddle had been under his charge on the "Indefatigable" in 1812, but that he could not vouch for his conduct since Waddle had been living in Launceston. The next document in this file (CSO1/118/2968 is a deposition by Joseph Beresford to, whose sister Sarah, Waddle was married. He stated that she had married him about 8 years previously, had two children by her and had lived on a farm of 520 acres (210ha) which her father had settled upon her. He testified to Waddle's ill-treatment of his wife, and his association with Catherine O'Brien, the daughter of a Neighbour. He went to the North about 4 1/2 years before taking with him Catherine O'Brien and one of the children (one of his wifes).He (Beresford) had heard that Waddle kept an Inn and still lived with O'Brien, by whom he had five children, four of whom had not lived. He concluded " My father was a Marine and came out to New South Wales with Colonel Davey who used occasionally call at his house. I have heard Waddle say he would never have married my sister had he not expected to have got his emancipation by it thro' the interest my father had with Colonel Davey."

Arthur's first reaction to this and the petition was that very erroneous information must have been given to him on the previous occasion, otherwise he would never have authorized land to Waddle. He presumed that no grant had been made, and hoped it was not too late to have the land made available to his wife and children. "In the next place he is a most improper person to be allowed to keep a public house. After these observations it is scarcely necessary to add that he will get no free pardon from me." It appeared from the reference to the survey department that a grant deed for the 200 acres had not been issued, so that it could still be made available to Waddle's wife and family. Arthur therefore ordered that the Crown Solicitor should be asked the best way in which this might be done.

However, before the Crown Solicitor's opinion was received, the police magistrate in Launceston had enquiries made about Waddle and had discovered that in 1882 Waddle, then in Launceston had sent for his wife because of his "housekeeper's" ill treatment of his little boy. She had refused to go, Waddle explained that, after having lived unhappily with Sarah for some time they had agreed to separate, and had articles of separation drawn up by a lawyer in 1823. He had taken the eldest of their two children, the boy, to Launceston, and settled property on his wife. The little girl remained under Sarah's care and was sent to school at his expense. He had sent for the little girl when he heard that she was being miss-treated by Sarah, but she had refused to part with her. Since then he had heard that his wife was living with a man named Bannister, and this was confirmed by Magistrate Lascelles. Therefore, when the crown solicitor reported on 9th October 1827, that the land could either be granted direct to Sarah or to a third party as her trustee. Arthur wrote "I have since obtained positive information that the wife of Waddle is herself living in adultery - it is not therefore necessary that I should take any further interest in her behalf, and the grant may be issued according to the original intention"

Encouraged by this Waddle in 1829 made application for an additional grant. He stated he had lived on his grant near Launceston since 1825, and had kept an Inn about 1 1/2 miles (2 1/2 Km)from there. The Land Board recommended that he should be given an additional 300 acres (122 ha), and Arthur agreed to approve provided that the additional land adjoined his present holding so that he could superintend both personally. But circumstances made it necessary to locate the additional land elsewhere, and Arthur approved (CSO1/190/4509).
 Alexander Waddle became a wealthy merchant and owned property all over Launceston, and well after he had set-up house with Catherine O'Brien he had a relationship with Mary Ann Porter. The children of this relationship were Sarah Ann B 6-3-1836, Alexander James B 25-10-1838, George
b1-4-1842 and twins Jessie and Mary B 27-7-1843, but died that year.
Alexander James married Elizabeth Bracey 8-4-1860 in Launceston. He was 21 and she was 18. The reg No of  the certificate is 367.
They had eleven children, male b 26-12- 1859,Napoleon b 10-8-1861, Victoria b 1-8-1863, female
b 14-8-1865, Ada Elizabeth and Ada Alexandra 14-6-1869, Eva b 23-6-1871, Minnie b 7-11-1876,
Verbina Margaret Elizabeth b 27-7-1878, Charles Henry Warren b26-6-1881 and Alberto7-6-1883Burial:
9 December 1852, Cypress St Cemetery, Launceston, Tasmania
Cause of Death: Influenza

Thomas Creese           Pilot                             
Oct 1816                Life    H/ Robbery                   GGG GrandUncle(I/L)

  My GGG GrandUncle  Married  Agnes Theresa O'Brien

Thomas was born in Lusk a village in Co. Dublin circa 1795. He was convicted at Dublin County Court of highway robbery and sentenced to transportation for life.

Soon after Thomas' arrival in Port Jackson he was transferred to Hobart Town on the 'Elizabeth Henrietta'. On 11 Dec 1820 he married Agnes the daughter of Thomas O'Brien and Susannah Mortimore. In the 1820 and 1823 musters Thomas appears as the servant of Robert Hay but by 1825 he has a Ticket of Leave. In 1841  

Thomas has a Conditional Pardon. In the 1842 Cencus the family are recorded as living on Woodburn Estate in the Parish of Richmond.

 Thomas was born in the Lusk district of County Dublin, Ireland in 1792, and probably baptised that year on July 23. His parents may have been John Cruise and his wife Bridget. Sponsors may have been Christopher Devine and Mary Thelle.

Thomas Cruise was, in October 1816, convicted of highway robbery and sent out, on a life sentence, to Van Diemans Land. After languishing in a local prison for five months, he set out from Cork Harbour on March 9 1817. The convicts were herded aboard the 400-ton vessel, "Pilot" on that day and arrived at Port Jackson New South Wales on July 29 1817.

A physical description of Thomas, taken after landing, recorded that he was five feet seven inches in height and of a ruddy complexion. He had light brown hair and hazel eyes. One of 280 male prisoners sent on from Sydney to Hobart Town,on board the "Elizabeth Henrietta" on which embarkation tok place on the 11th August 1817, he arrived on Sept 14th 1817. They were escorted by Lt Robinson and 18 privates of the 48th regiment, another 80 convicts commanded by Lt Reevely and the 46th regiment were sent overland to Port Dalrymple.

On Dec 11th 1820 Thomas still in bondage, married Agnes O'Brien, a free woman, in Hobart. Both were 25 years of age, while the witnesses to the wedding were Mary Ann O'Brien, the brides sister, and Michael Robinson.

Thomas is recorded as holding a "Ticket of Leave" in 1841, (Conditional Pardon)

Thomas worked as a laborer or farmer in Tasmania all his Life. It is possible that he was employed for a time on Thomas O'Briens farm (his father in law). Thomas settled in the Richmond district and ended his days there, on August 5 1877, he was 85. Cause of death was given as chronic Bronchitis and dropsy. 

Burial: 8 August 1877, Enfield, Tasmania

Cause of Death: Chronic Bronchitis and dropsy

Medical Information: Disease with watery fluid collecting in the body. Over-swollen state.

William McDonald     Asia                            
 Aug 1821               14 Years  Theft                       GGG GrandUncle(I/L)

My GGG GrandUncle married My GGG GrandAunt Margaret O'Brien

William was born about 1803 in or near Glasgow. He had a brother James and his parents were probably poor Tennant farmers. The boys drifted into crime as a result of poverty which was probably caused by the landlord forcing the family off the farm.
On the 9th August 1821 William was tried in Glasgow for stealing a silver watch with a wind up key,at that time his aliases were O'Neil and Morgan, in 1822 he arrived before the sheriff of Edinborough , he stated he stole the watch from a married man in Glasgow, he was sentenced to 14 years transportation on the 6th January 1823.

On the 15/7/1823 he was embarked on the Justitia Hulk at Woolwich (Thames Estuary, near London) to await transportation to the colonies. He was transferred to the "Asia"  and left Portsmouth on the 28/8/23, he arrived in Hobart Town on the 19/1/24 at this stage he was 21 years old with a height of 5 foot 7 inches or 170cm,with grey eyes,dark hair, and fair skin. On arrival in Tasmaniahe was assigned to Valentine Chapman. On 10 September he was found guilty of insolence, given 50 lashes and sent to the penitentary by Knopwood. On 26th march 1826 champion charged him with being absent from his masters premises without leave, and was returned to the prisoners barracks. On 26 April 1826, while still at the Barracks, he was charged with having engaged in an assult with some soldiers,but it was discharged, with no prosecution offered. On 21 september 1826, now assigned to Thomas Stace, he was charged with being absent from muster and church, and repremanded by Robert Knopwood, only to repeat the same offence the following March.

He married Margaret O'Brien on the 5/2/1827 in St Davids church Hobart (980), having petitioned for permission to marry on thd 23rd December 1826. Permission was granted on 20 January 1827. The Rev'd William Garrard, Chaplain took the service.
The next monthh he was in trouble again, he was still assigned to Mr Stace, but living in his own premises with his wife. He was charged on 17th April 1827, "with harboring James Ingle and Henry Phillips, assigned servants to Peter degraves, and Thomas Sprout, assigned servant to Thomas Stace, in his house in Davey Street at 10 o'clock on the night of 15th April, and keeping a disorderly house for the reception of lewd persons of both sexes. "He was returned to the Prisoners Barracks.
It was this occasion that led to Thomas Simpsonbeing charged "with being in the house Of William McDonald with Catherine Porter, aged 14 years". Catherine was the niece of Margaret McDonald, and Simpson was a convict, and they were married five months later when she was still only 14.

Wliiiam sent a petition to Lieutenant Govenor Arthur in May 1827 :-

"The humble Memorial of William McDonald, respectfully sheweth:- That your excellency's memoralist arrived in the colony (per ship Asia) sentence 14 years Transportation now in the penitentiary.
The object of your memorialist's petition is to solicit that your Excellencymay be pleased to order an investigation into your memorialist'sconduct and if found satisfactory - your memorialist prays for the indulgence of being allowed to be out of the penitentiary and live with his wife and one child. Your memorialist flatters himself his conduct will bear scrutiny from this inspection and hopes your Excellency will condescend to take his case into your humane consideration".

After reports were considered on previous conduct and from his employer , the petition was refused.

The next month, on 11 June 1827, he was absent from his muster at one o'clock in nthe prisoners Barracks, and sent to the chain gang for one week. On 7th August 1827, still at the barracks, he was out after hours at 12 minutes past eight, and was reprimanded.
On the 6th November1827, while working in the stablesand lumberyard, he had in his possession a bundle of hay believed to be stolen, back he went to the barracks. On the 14th December 1827 he was absent from his gang or an hour and a half during the afternoon without leave and went back to the chain gang for a week.
He then went to work for the Post Office as a postman, on 24th September 1828 he was charged with
" having taken a horse, the property of some person unknown, for the purpose of riding to New Norfolk with his mail bags insted of walking". For this he was sent to the chain gang for two months, and it was recommended that he not be employed again in such a situation. He seems to have been a rogue and a larrikan.

On 2nd March 1829 and 23rd June 1829 he was in trouble for being drunk in the police Barracks, for which he spent ten days on the treadmill, for being drunk and neglecting his duty at the lumber yard, he was gien 25 lashes, and then for being drunk in the Barracks again another two weeks on the treadwheel.

Things became more serious when on the 5th January 1830 he was charged with stealing a watch belonging to Robert Cox of Elizabeth Town, New Norfolk. He was remanded for further examination and had a detainer lodged at the goal against him being confined and fully committed on another charge. It is not clear what these other charges were, although the press reported that he was convicted for stealing a pair of leather fronts worth two shillings (20cents), the property of William Clarke, a shoemaker, on 9th May ( Hobart Courier 9/1/1830) He was sentenced to twelve months hard labour.

on 14th January 1831 he was charged with stealing from the person of Robert Parkinson on thr 13th Jan two promissory notes worth five pounds each, and two more worth one pound each. He was committed for trial and sentenced to 14 years transportation.

on 6th March 1833, still in the prisoners barracks, he was found near Austin's Ferry on 20th February without a pass and was sentenced to Port Arthur for the remainde of his sentence, in irons. Clearly the authorities were out of patience with him.

On 3rd March 1836, having completed hid time in port Arthur, he was charged with not reporting himself in proper time at his establishment, and as forwarded to his station in custody. The 1837 census shows him living at Newtown with his wife Margaret and six children, all under 14 years of age. The last notation on his record was that he was sentenced to life in prison, or transportation, on the 1st January 1843, but there is no report in the press of any trial.
It must have been a very odd marriage, William was often incarcerated, and therefore away from home. But they still managed to have eight children between October 1826, before they were married, and 1845. There are some long gaps, in particular between 1833 and 1840, the time he was in Port Arthur.

It seems likley that William disappeared from the scene in 1843 after he was sentenced to life in prison, and may well be the man of that name who died at Port Arthur on 4th May 1861 from disease of the Brain, (839), aged 52. the father of Emma Jesse must be in doubt and the logical conclusion is that she was fathered by Thomas cridge, but that is only conjecture.

Margaret moved to Victoria with Thomas Cridge and they were married in St James's Melbourne in 1853, (6286). Their daughter Ceila must have been born around that time, although her birt was not registered. At least some of Margarets older children crossed the strait with her. She was then 46 and Thomas was 33.

Thomas Cridge came on the scene in1844 when he was mustered at Glenorchy.

On the 17/6/1851 William was granted an absolute pardon on the condition that he did not return to  England or remain in Van Dieman's Land.

This is an attempt to translate from the original notes from a photocopy of his prison record .

337 Donald Wm Mc     Asia 1824 (ship and arrival date)
Edinbro Jan 7-6 1823 = 14      (place, date and sentence)
March 1 1826. Champion / Absent from his master without leave no prov returned to public works
April 20 1826. Public works/ Engaged in an ? with some soldiers yesterday dis.s no pros.r
Sept 21 1826.  absent from Muster and Church on Sunday last reported (rev R.K)
March 3 1827. (Thomas) stace/ Absent from Church Muster last Sunday reported (-HH-)
April 17 1827. Stace/ Harbour & at Ingle & Henry Phillips assigned servant to Thomas Stace in his McDonalds House in Davey Street at 10 o'clock of 15th April & keeping a disorderly house for the reception of lewd persons of both sexes prisoner barracks/arv. (see notes on Thomas Simpson )
Sept10 1825. Young / insolence accorded 50 lashes & penitentiary (Rev RK. GI. AG & 18 prisoners)
June 11 1827.Prisoner Barracks /absent from muster yesterday at one O'clock at the prison Barracks, chain gang one week (prison sentence)
August 1 1827. Public Works / Out after hours last night at 1/2 past 8 O'clock reported ( T A S) could be Thomas A Stace.
Dec 14 1827. Prisoner Barracks /Absent from his gang for an hour and a half yesterday afternoon without leave, chain gang 7 days (prison sentence)
Nov 6 1827. Stables Lumber yard/ having in his possession a bundle of hay believed to be stolen & unable to satisfactorily account for it - prisoner barracks (T A S )
Sept 24  1828. Collicott/  Drunk and absent from his lodgings at 9 O'Clock last night 7 days tread wheel (& upside)
Nov 17 1828. Theft at the Post Office /charged with having taken a horse the property of some person unknown for the purpose of riding to New Norfolk with his mail bags instead of walking - 2 months chain gang, and recommended not to be employed again at the Post Office.
March 2 1829. Prison Barracks/ Intoxicated in the prison barracks on Sunday night last tread wheel
10 days ( prison sentence)
May 7 1829.Prison Barracks / drunk and neglecting his duty at the lumber yard 25 lashes  (Prison sentence )
June 23 1829. Committed for trial for stealing a hat and two pieces of leather in R Clarkes, D W/house ( J Spode)
June 1 1829. Prison barracks / Intoxicated last night in the prisoners barracks tread wheel ? days  (prison sentence)
Jan 5 1830. Public works/ Stealing a watch of the goods and chattels of Robert Cox of Elizabeth Town New Norfolk. Remanded for further examination and a detainer lodged at the goal against him, he being confined and fully committed upon another charge ( C P M)
Jan 14 1831. public works/ Stealing from the person of Robert Parkinson on the 13th of this month at Hobart Town two promissory notes for the payment of Five Pound each value five pound each, and two other promissory notes value one pound each the property of said Robert Parkinson, committed for trial (committed)
March 6 1833. public works/ found near Austins Ferry on 20th February with a ?? . to be removed to Port Arthur for the remainder of his sentence in irons /A P M , L I S.
March 30 1836 public works/ not reporting himself in proper time at this establishment, to be forwarded to his station in custody/  p.s/ supply v.p. 176
17-3-1834  P T Office  29-4-1834
? April 1836.............. to leave barracks when ordered to be ? be sent to Port Arthur to work at his trade for 6 months he being a sawyer. ps/Aug 3 1837 having a fishing line in his possession 14 days chain gang/ Port Arthur. March 2 1837 fighting (3 weeks chain gang/Port Arthur. April 3 1837 ? suspicion of pilfering vegetables, 2 months Port Arthur. April 3 1838 ? leave to R C Murray.......... from work very disorderly.......... afterwards to be ......... Port Arthur.......of s?. 1?-10-38 .......22-10-38 tl/ in a public house after hours............ days., be sent ............. 26-2-43........ at the supreme court Hobartown 1st June 1843........... life... to be sent to Port Arthur for 3 years conduct
17-6-51 grant of absolute pardon available everywhere save the United Kingdom and the Island of Van Diemans Land.

Thomas Cringe          Gilmore                        
 July 1838               15 Years  Theft                       GGG grandUncle(I/L)

My GGG GrandUncle Married My GGG GrandAunt Margaret O'Brien 2nd Marrage

Thomas was a convict, tried at the Somerset Quarter sessions on 2nd July 1838 for stealing wearing apparel from Thomas Rollins. He had a previous coniction for stealing a shirt. His sentence was transportation for 15 years. Thomas was a native of Somerset, aged 18, single, standing 5'5" (165cm) tall, with a pale complexion, brown hair hazel eyes, a small flat nose, and a scart on the left side of his mouth.
He arrived on the "Gilmore" on 22nd June 1839. For about 4 years he was assigned to J H Wedge, the surveyor and explorer, but a series of infringements led to him being returned to the Government on 9th October 1843. His ticket of leave came soon after, and he was working at Glenorchy, where he presumably met Margaret McDonald. Three minor offences against the Police Act and the Weights and Measures Act for which he was fined 1845 and 1847 suggest that he was engaged in some sort of shopkeeping or commerce.

In the 1856 Electoral role Thomas is listed as storekeeper, freehold Lt. Bourke St Melbourne. He is also listed as a farmer deep Creek, freeholder, Bacchus Marsh, Div.

Also, 1855 & 1876 Thomas Cridge, Hay & Corn Dealer, 11 Little Bourke St Melbourne Directories